Monday, July 8, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 7/8/13



Head over and meet Jen & Kellee at www.teachmentortexts.com 
for more on this awesome meme. There are many other "It's Monday" links.



Books I Read this Past Week...       

Fangbone #1 by Michael Rex
Excellent, funny graphic novel. I had been recommending this all year to my students because of a friend's recommendation, but I finally got to enjoy it myself. The plot is crazy, but hey, it's fun! (4 out of 5 stars)

Heidi Heckelbeck Has a Secret by Wanda Coven
This book was very cute overall. I felt the writing was very descriptive, especially as Heidi shares her views of the school she is attending and a new bully she encounters. Heidi certainly has a secret alright, but I'll let you read it to find out. A great choice for readers Grades 1-3.
(3 out of 5 stars) 


I am in LOVE with the Lunch Lady series by Jarrett J. Krosoczka @StudioJJK. It is smartly written and encourages literacy within the book plots. Simply a winner! I can't wait to read all of the others!(5 out of 5 stars - for both)

My author of the moment is former Cincinnati teacher (and National Teacher of the Year) Sharon M. Draper. She is so talented and her talent really comes across in the second book of The Hazelwood High Trilogy, Forged by Fire. I love how she spins an entirely new story about Gerald, but intricately weaves in important events from the first book, Tears of a Tiger. This is a powerful book that will make you feel lucky for your stable, caring family. I can't wait to read the last book in the series!
(5 out of 5 stars)

Main Books I Will Read and Hopefully Finish This Week

Foiled by Jane Yolen

George's Secret Key to the Universe by Lucy and Stephen Hawking

Night of the Spadefoot Toads by Bill Harley

Jake and Lily by Jerry Spinelli

8 comments:

  1. I, too, am a fan of Lunch Lady. Just checked out #s 4, 5, & 6 from the library today. You had several new-to-me titles that I'm adding to my TBR. And, like you, I've recommended several books to students that I'm just reading for myself. LOVED your #IMWAYR blog post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also checked them out! I love them. Glad we have summer to catch up on books!

      Delete
  2. My son loves Lunch Lady! Such a fun series.
    Tears of a Tiger & Forged By Fire are big favorites in my classroom.
    Happy reading this week! I've heard great things about Jake & Lily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. What grade level do you teach? Sharon Draper is one of my favorite authors.

      Delete
  3. Great list of books!
    Foiled is such a unique graphic novel and the 2nd one is even better.
    Yay for Lunch Lady! She is so much fun!

    Thank you so much for participating in IMWAYR and happy reading this week :)
    Kellee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know there was a second one! I am looking forward to it. Thank you for hosting IMWAYR. I love it!

      Delete
  4. I'll have to check out lunch lady. Seems like something my son would love. Did you enjoy George's Secret Key to the Universe. I picked that one at the library, but my son just wasn't interested enough to read it - I think I might try it again sometime, though.

    Just found your blog via The Late Bloomer's Liebster award nomination. I'm now following via GFC and Bloglovin'. :-)


    Nicole @ Best Kids' Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just started George's Secret Key to the Universe. I am having a hard time getting into it =( Your son would LOVE Lunch Lady I bet! Give it a shot.
      Thanks for alerting me to the Liebster nomination. I had no idea I had even been nominated. I am following you back. Are you on Twitter?

      Delete