Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Graphic Novels Can Help Kids Love to Read





Yesterday on Twitter, a friend (@katsok) posted a publication from the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund. 

First of all, I never knew such an organization existed! It excites me to know there is a movement out there to spread the good news (and benefits) of graphic novels and comics.  

With art by some of my favorite author/artists (especially Raina Telgemeier!!), this publication will be a resource I use this coming year to help the parents of my students understand the learning benefits of graphic novels and comics. 


I have sometimes encountered resistance from parents about offering graphic novels and comics as reading material. I often hear, "That isn't a real book" or "It has too many pictures. Are they really reading?" I always explain to them how I have seen reluctant readers begin to love reading because of amazing graphic novels. However, this publication will allow me to further support how graphic novels are not only good for reluctant readers, but any reader (even an advanced reader). Graphic novels help improve critical thinking, sequencing, and memory skills among many other benefits. So much of what our kids read today is a mashup of many types of text structures, formats, etc. Graphic novels help our students navigate the world of modern reading. 


Enjoy the digital version of this publication and hopefully you'll find a use for it in your classroom this year.


Visit:

Raising a Reader! How Graphic Novels and Comics Can Help Your Kids Love to Read



4 comments:

  1. I'll have to take a look at this. I have a good selection of graphic novels in my library, but there are times when students check books out and return them at the end of study hall, and then I do worry that they have just looked at the pictures, so sometimes we have conversations about how they are reading. Some of my struggling readers find the pictures to be too distracting. Maybe this book will help me understand the process!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think as teachers we always have kids, from time to time, who may look like they are reading something when they're really not. It happens with text-only books as well. I've never had a struggling reader say the pictures were too distracting, but this may be the case and I don't know it. I find that the pictures aid in comprehension more than anything. I found this resource to be very helpful. Thanks for offering a different perspective that I hadn't considered!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ryan. I really enjoy reading your blog and I have nominated you for a Liebster Award! Please visit my blog for more info. http://thelatebloomersbookblog.blogspot.com/2013/07/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found this! I need to be better about checking my blog. You rock Gigi! I will be glad to accept your nomination.

    ReplyDelete