Monday, June 15, 2015

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 6/15/15

Head over and meet Jen & Kellee at www.teachmentortexts.com and www.unleashingreaders.com for more on this awesome meme. There are many other
"It's Monday" links.

I read some great books this past week! I borrowed an idea from Katherine Sokolowski (@katsok) and just took a screen capture of my Goodreads page. Thanks for the idea!

Books I Read Last Week...

Every book I read this week was enjoyable. I especially look forward to sharing Where Are My Books? and I Wish You More with my students in the fall. Of course, Babymouse is a hit in my classroom already and the newest book in the series, about Babymouse becoming a babysitter, is a hoot. There are so many small details in the Babymouse books that truly are gifts to readers. I also LOVED the gentle nod to Comics Squad: Recess! (Babymouse is reading that early in the book.)

I really enjoyed Stella Brings the Family, but I felt that it missed a big opportunity at the end. A boy is Stella's class becomes worried about the upcoming Father's Day celebration because he has two moms and doesn't have a dad to invite. The whole message of the book is that family is bigger than just your parents' gender and extends to your larger family. I would've liked to see a different ending to the book.

I am so happy I met Grandma Dowdel this summer. Thanks to my friend, Tammy, who recommended the series to me. She did not like A Year Down Yonder as much as A Long Way from Chicago, but I did. I may have liked A Year Down Yonder more, in fact. I felt that I got a deeper understanding of Grandma through the eyes of Mary Alice. There were less laugh-out-loud moments for me, however.

What are you reading, friends?

6 comments:

  1. Great books! I just received a copy of I Wish You More in my Scholastic order just today. Looking forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read most of these, but still need to get to My Pen and Where are My Books? Those are two I am looking forward to reading. Grandma Dowdel is a hoot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she is. A true literary legend :) Hope you found the other books to read.

      Delete
  3. I've been meaning to find The Pen for quite awhile now. Glad to see you rated it quite highly. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I just loved it. It's beautifully illustrated, too.

      Delete