Monday, June 30, 2014

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 6/30/14


Head over and meet Jen & Kellee at www.teachmentortexts.com and www.unleashingreaders.com for more on this awesome meme. There are many other
"It's Monday" links.

I started a new tradition this past week. I checked out a book stack, of 10 books, to enjoy. This week they were wordless picture books or picture books. It was a fun week! My favorite of the week was Emily's Blue Period by Cathleen Daly. This is my favorite picture book of 2014. Such a meaningful story. I also really loved Journey, by Aaron Becker - a book I had not read, even though I should have long ago. Special shout to Peter Brown, author of Children Make Terrible Pets and many other great books. He's one talented guy!


Books I Read This Past Week...
Children Make Terrible Pets, by @itspeterbrown
(5 out of 5 stars)

Peter Brown writes the most hilarious, wonderful books. I so enjoyed Children Make Terrible Pets and look forward to reading You Will Be My Friend! Who can resist Lucy - a bear with a cute bow in her hair and tutu? 


Journey by Aaron Becker, @storybreathing
(5 out of 5 stars)

I never thought I would be one to really enjoy wordless picture books, but I have discovered how wonderful wordless picture books are and I would like to use them more in my classroom. I know many of my Nerdy Book Club friends do! This book would be #1 on top of the pile I would like to use in class. I think that as we get older, it's easy to lose our childhood imagination. Books like this remind me how important it is to hold onto to imagination. Truly a magical book - pick it up if you haven't. 


Emily's Blue Period by Cathleen Daly
(5 out of 5 stars) 

Some books just touch you. This is one of them. By far my favorite picture book, and maybe book, of the year so far. Being a child of divorce, this book really connected with me. Emily goes through her blue period - following after Pablo Picasso (Emily is a great artist if you didn't guess), which relates to the struggles she is having in her life. I just loved how Emily grew throughout the book and of course, the ending was wonderful. This would be a great book to read aloud to a class and I plan on it next year! 


Other Books I Read This Past Week...
Owen by Kevin Henkes (5 out of 5 stars)
I Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen (5 out of 5 stars)
Flora and the Flamingo by Molly Idle (4 out of 5 stars)
A Ball for Daisy by Chris Raschka (4 out of 5 stars)
Extra Yarn by Mac Barnett (5 out of 5 stars)
Ox-Cart Man by Donald Hall (4 out of 5 stars)
Peanut Butter and Jellyfish by Jarrett K. Krosoczka (4 out of 5 stars)


                                         
                                       What are you reading, friends?

4 comments:

  1. You have great books here! Journey is absolutely wonderful. Children Make Terrible Pets would make a good companion book to How to Cook Children. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great reads this week! I've read most of them except Owen, I think. I need to read more Kevin Henkes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you do! Ha. Kevin Henkes produces treasure after treasure. Have you read Lily's Plastic Purple Purse?

      Delete
  3. Thanks Myra for the comment. I have never read How to Cook Children. Have you read Peter Brown's follow up, You Will Be My Friend?

    ReplyDelete