Monday, June 16, 2014

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 6/16/14

Head over and meet Jen & Kellee at www.teachmentortexts.com and www.unleashingreaders.com for more on this awesome meme. There are many other
"It's Monday" links.


I read this week, but not as much as I thought I would! I am including a movie I watched this week because it kind of counts - I watched the movie version of Brent Hartinger's book Geography Club. I liked it. It would be a perfect movie to do a book comparison with - there were so many differences from the novel! Older students could have a field day comparing and contrasting the two. 

Movies I Watched this Past Week...

Geography Club, based on the book by Brent Hartinger, @brenthartinger

**Remember folks - we need diverse books (and diverse movies) available to our youth. Follow the hashtag #WeNeedDiverseBooks on Twitter and follow the Twitter account, @diversebooks. 


Books I Read This Past Week...

The Julian Chapter: A Wonder Story by R.J. Palacio, @rjpalacio
(4 out of 5 stars)

This is one of those books I sat down with, could NOT put down, and completely finished within an hour. I needed to know this story and loved how R.J. Palacio intricately weaved the plot to connect with what occurred in Wonder, but also how she shed new light on a character I simply despised - Julian (oh, and his mother, Melissa)! I won't give away the plot, but after reading this, you may be surprised to find yourself empathizing a bit more with Julian. R.J. Palacio's writing is crisp, and reliably "teen" as ever. Every year, when I read Wonder aloud to my students, Julian is the hated character - the epitome of an antagonist. But, their dislike of the character never stops them from wondering why R.J. Palacio did not include a Julian chapter in the original novel. They are very curious to know what was going through Julian's mind during these same events. Wonder no longer! This will be an equally satisfying read for them as it was for me.

Loving Now...

Counting by 7s by Holly Goldberg Sloan, @HGoldbergSloan
                                       
                                       What are you reading, friends?

6 comments:

  1. My middle grade read this week was The Hero's Guide to Being an Outlaw. I really enjoyed this series and sad to see it end. Everything else was YA and adult. I still need to read Wonder. It is never available at the library! Have a great week! ~Megan
    http://wp.me/pzUn5-22q

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to read the new Wonder book. I hadn't even realized it was out!!! Counting by 7s is also in my pile to read soon-ish.
    LOVE that you included a movie. Movies are literature as well.

    Happy reading this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kellee, thanks for the comment. I hope you get a chance to read the new Wonder book. It is only available in e-book format at this time, so hopefully you have a Kindle?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was shocked to find a copy of Wonder at the thrift store! I snagged it immediately. Several of my students want to read The Julian Chapter, but I have no way to loan them an e book, even if I bought it. E books and school libraries are still a work in progress! Up for tomorrow's reading: Little Green Men at the Mercury Inn and Hitch at the Fairmont!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Megan. I love to read YA and still adult, also. Glad to see you read a variety. I will have to check out The Hero's Guide to Being an Outlaw.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do hope that you enjoy and love Counting by 7s as much as I did. This was one novel that I prolonged reading because I just couldn't let go of Willow Chance's voice. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete